Blogging - one of the best ways to build your online reputation
Social media and technology have made it easier to build your personal and professional online reputation. Becoming recognized by your clients and prospective clients as an expert and thought leader in your field is essential to building a strong online reputation. Since content is King, the creation of material and information to establish you as an expert is super important.
The generation of large amounts of content through social media channels like blogs, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook are some of the most effective ways to build your online reputation. It is important to remember, however, that your reputation will not be built up overnight. It takes time and the consistent involvement of other people. Here are 10 habits that I find very effective in building my online reputation. Do feel free to add your habits, tips and ideas in the comment box.
1. Deliver your best: Aim to deliver your utmost value every time you write. Never write for the sake of writing or post for the sake of updating. Make sure every word counts.
2. Be focused: Identify your niche and concentrate your social media efforts on discussions and content that is related to your area of expertise.
3. Pay attention: Make sure to pay close attention to discussions that are related to your business. You will learn a great deal from what you read and from what you participate in. One of the main keys to social media success is listening.
4. Be Honest: A solid reputation online is based on honesty. It is absolutely imperative that you demonstrate transparency at all times.
5. Be genuine: Your content should reflect who you are as a human being so share example from your life experience. If you write in an indifferent manner people will not be able to associate with what you are offering or connect with you as a person. People need to relate to you on a human level.
6. Avoid self-promotion: If your content is full of the hard sell, nobody will have an interest in reading what you have to say. If your content is valuable, solves your readers’ problems; if you are unobtrusive and respectful, people will be interested in getting involved in your offerings.
7. Respond in a timely fashion: A very large part of building your online reputation successfully is your interactions with other people. Responds to comment and questions in a timely fashion.
8. Share other people’s content: Be willing to share what other people write. Remember one hand washes the other.
9. Don’t be controlling: It is important for you to be able to relinquish some of control so that your content, discussions, etc, can be syndicated across the Internet. Your reputation will grow faster if you allow other people to share what you write.
10. Get as involved as possible: Remember that you should not be spending all of your time on one social media channel. The more involved you get with social media communities on various websites, the stronger your reputation will be.
Do share with us some habits your have acquired to help you become better at blogging and increase your audience reach.